Dear all,
I am currently teaching a course consisting of three full-day life writing sessions at Oxford (four x 75 minute classes each Friday - same group of students throughout), the content being roughly similar, though sketchier, and with some new bits, compared with what you have covered with me in one or two terms.
How do you all feel about me letting them join the blog if they wished?
As this is likely to be the last life writing course of any kind I teach at Oxford this would probably close the 'register' on potential writers for this blog.
As I made the scope of potential bloggers very clear to you all when we opened the blog, and you agreed on that basis, I won't offer them the option until I get feedback from any current bloggers who feel moved to express an opinion.
They are a lovely group (as indeed all my classes have been, fortunately for me) and I'm sure any of them who chose to join in would be an asset.
It's very interesting, incidentally, how these intensive course differ substantially from weekly ones. You all had thinking time between classes which this lot just don't and can't have; it's informing my ideas about the M.St. at Cambridge and how I can compensate for the fact that the residential pods are intensive and far apart by providing some kind of regular online class. I must thank you all again for everything I have learnt from you, not only about teaching life writing effectively but also about how, in the current parlance, learning is 'delivered'. I still think little and often (weekly classes) allows more time for reflection and digestion, even if you only think you commence this the night before the class, what with the hectic nature of our other lives. Life has an ineffable way of throwing up examples of (or challenges to) what we have been talking about in class when there is the space, and thinking time, even if on a subconscious level, between classes to allow this. I'd be very interested in the thoughts of anyone about the most effective ways of delivering classes in creative writing.
Sarah
I think it would be a good idea Sarah. I have already gained from Frank's comments and been deeply moved by Hilary's piece. I have also had the incentive to get on with my research. So as long as we are only including those who have had a similar course with you it can only enrich all of us who participate.
ReplyDeleteYes to that, I agree with Kieth, and btw Keith thank you so much for your very kind comment - I was rather overwhelmed by it but very appreciative!
ReplyDeleteYes I'm happy too. Haven't fully engaged with the blog yet -but am regularly reading everyone's work and enjoying it hugely.
ReplyDeleteOK. I will email them all over the weekend and tell them how to sign up.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteJust to say that I am back in the UK and I agree with opening up the blog to "kindred spirits".