Friday, 23 March 2012

Hi
I'm Keith Mac just to distinguish me from all the other Keiths. Well done and many thanks to Sarah and Hilary for getting this blog up and running. I think I set up about three accounts before finally getting this one on track. I had a bit of fun sending stuff between them, and being asked if I had been offensive to myself, but that isn't Hilary's fault. it is just that when I'm researching it is helpful to use Google docs so I can download when I get home without messing with memory sticks etc. I am from Sarah's groundbreaking first group in Oxford and I am working on a biography of my father. He was recently described online as a Library Hero, although he died almost 30 years ago.

I tend to do some research and then write trial piece of creative non fiction to combine the research results with what I imagine must have been my family's take on the situation. I am waiting somewhat impatiently for the publication of an article in Starting Point, which is the journal of the Branch and Mobile Library Society journal. I am told that the original Autumn edition has been somewhat delayed but has been combined into a winter edition and a copy will be with me shortly.

I am happy to post occasional extracts if anybody would be interested, and would be delighted with any helpful comments resulting. I look forward to reading other people's work, though my Spanish is not up to much Frank.

Keithmac


3 comments:

  1. Hi, Keith, welcome to the club!

    I am very pleased to hear that you are tackling a similar project to mine. I would personally be very interested in you posting some extracts from your father's biography for me to compare.

    As part of Sarah's course I did a couple of different beginnings (in English) to my mother's biography which I am happy to share if anyone is interested. Please let me know

    FV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank
      I would be particularly interested in any such extracts you publish online as I do feel the need to see how others tackle the problems of describing their parents' actions. I have one or two changes to make to correct an anachronism or two and then I'll put it up on the blog.
      I would certainly be interested to see similar pieces from your work.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Keith,

      I will post the first extract shortly. This piece is one of two possible beginnings that I prepared for Sarah before I started writing in Spanish. Let me know what you think.

      FV

      Delete